Allyn Vaughn

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 00:21:06 GMT, "Highland Pairos"
wrote:

My Bosch 5" ROS has recently become very hard to handle. I have had it for
a few years now and have always found it to be quite easy to handle and yet
powerful. However, lately I have barely been able to keep it on the work
surface. I can see that it moves in both the circular as well as random
motions still. I took the pad off to see what I could and found that there
is a rubber ring that rides against the back of the sanding pad to direct
the airflow for the dust collection through the proper ports. I found that
the ring was caked with paint residue. Not thinking that this was relevant,
I cleaned the residue off anyway before I put it back together. It was much
more manageable, for a while. It went back to its difficult behavior fairly
quickly. I took it apart again and found that the ring was again covered
with paint residue, (BTW I was trying to sand out some primer). I cleaned
it again and it ran better. I do not understand why the paint residue would
cause it to behave the way that it does. Has anyone had the strange
problem? I was thinking about putting a very light coat of silicone spray
on the ring to see if that would prevent the paint from sticking to it.
Does anyone have any better ideas?

SteveP.

Like Ed mentioned, I remember reading a tool review in one of the
mags lately that talked about the brake pad wearing out. The brake
pad acts as a "buffer" to keep the pad from starting right out on the
random orbits to allow you to work your piece. If that is worn out it
will act or orbit strange. You should look at your owners manual to
see if the ring you mention is the brake pad and look to replace that.

Allyn