George E. Cawthon wrote:

wrote:

...watts = 0.4 x volts x amps, for some undercounter fluorescents.

Do fluorescent lights have a power factor?

Sure... 0.4 in the case above.

But, that said, if the undercounter light fixture say 15W, then that
is how much is used regardless of power factor

Yes.

and w=va still applies. or am I wrong...

You am wrong. W = PFxVxA.

Did you go to embassy doublespeak school?

Ignorance and belligerance are an unfortunate combination.

...You answered the 2nd question yes and the third saying I am wrong.
Those answers are inconsistent.

No... In the case above, the real power is 15W = 0.4x120Vx0.3125A, but
"w=va" = 120Vx0.3125A = 37.5 VA overestimates it by a factor of 2.5.

If the fixtures says 15 watts and it has a power factor, the
powerfactor is already applied.

Yes.

I think I'll just stick with totaling up the
wattage of fixtures/appliances.

That's a good idea, in most cases.

Nick