Michael Mcneil

Default Is chainsaw oil something special?

"usenet" wrote in message

dave wrote:
Can more or less any light oil be used for chainsaw lubrication? Whether it'd be
any cheaper is another question of course :-)

It's usually pretty high viscosity, hardly a 'light' oil. It's more
like rear axle oil or similar, SAE80 or 90 viscosity.

Why not buy the proper stuff, it's hardly expensive, B&Q have it
(assuming you believe that B&Q's is the 'proper stuff'!).

The oil is a lost lubricant. You will see it spraying out on a revving
saw when you press the oiler button if it has one. I used the heavy
stuff and it wouldn't come out the port. In a timberyard I used to work
in they used red diesel. As long as the chain is not run dry, you should
be OK.

This is probably apochryphal but I did hear from a mechanic that you
aught to be able to run an engine on water as a lubricant. By the way
the finest lubricant is castor oil. You might want to put some of that
in the can if you decide to use diesel. Modern two-stroke chainsaws use
microscopic amounts of lube in their mix these days compared to the
ratios I had to use when I had one.

There is another place that requires oil beside the chaincase and the
petrol tank, that is the clutch and gear box. It requires grease-thick
oil. Don't let that box get low, whatever you do. Every day you use it,
check it.