Warren

On 12 Aug 2005 10:59:52 -0700, "tim" wrote:

I am mulling over how to make my first woodworking bench, and after
looking at many sites, and considering cost, I am going to build
with standard lumber. My questions are as follows:

Is there any reason to stick with laminating 2x4's for the
legs versus using 4x4 or even better(?) 4x6 stock. I want
to build a leg vise and I am tempted to use the 4x6 dougfir
they have at the local Builder's Supply. Are there any
ramifications that I should be aware of? I asked them and
got blank stares and they made me feel like an idiot.

And while I'm asking can you use this 4x6 or 4x4 stuff as the
laminated top, or should I stick with glueing up 2x4s?
I have debated using plywood or mdf, but I just don't want
to do that, although I am sure you all have opinions on that
decision.

I would really appreciate any suggestions, since the only
person around here I can ask is my Dad, and he is the KING
of Shortcuts. (Great for many projects, but not this one)

Douglas Fir or Hemlock that has been Kiln dried works fine. Sort
through the pile of higher grade 2x at the borg for the knot free
stuff and go for it.

My first ww project as a newbie was a bench. Didn't want to trash cash
wreaking maple, so I did the pine. Worked up my own plans combing two
bench ideas that I liked. Made mine longer, deeper, no tool tray, etc.

http://www.terraclavis.com/bws/beginners.htm
http://www.popularwoodworking.com/fe...ea.asp?id=1069

After a year it's still flat. Sure it's more susceptible to dents but
who cares. It's my first bench and can be planed again if need be.
Some day when my skills have increased, I will take on a new bench.

Warren