Richard Faulkner

In message , neil leslie
writes
Our bathroom is really rubbish and we're just about to spend a stupid
amount of money on doing it up; around £10,000. Any ideas on how much
this would actually add in value to a house?

Impossible to say - Objectively, it tends to cost me around £2,500 to
fit a smallish bathroom with bath, sink, WC, and thermostatic shower,
plus white tiling. Factor in something for hassle, and you might get to
say, £5,000 or so.

So, if a buyer is logical, sees your crappy bathroom, and works how much
it will cost to replace, you might get £5,000 less without the bathroom.

Subjectively - many people will see a crappy bathroom and not want to
but the house. How much would that lose you? Hard to say, but more
people wanting your house tends to get more money.

If anybody ever asked me if they should spend £10K on a new bathroom to
help sell their house, I would say dont bother - spend £2,500.

Answer- if you are thinking of selling your house - dont spend £10,000
on a bathroom. If you want a nice bathroom, exactly to your taste, which
you might use for the next 5 to 10 years, just do it and forget about
what it might add to your house.

All of this assumes that you have a fairly typical house.

--
Richard Faulkner