John B

Patriarch wrote:
John B wrote in
:
snip

G'day all,
The farm house in which I lived as a kid, was constructed from clad
with Jarrah (Rough Sawn) boards up to about 5 feet high with the top
portion being asbestos sheeting.................
Every year we used to get an old mop and give the boards a good
coating of sump oil.(Which the old man would save from the oil changes
in the cars, tractors and other machinery).
I'd reckon that them boards would still be as good as new, although
very black.

John, just the thought of the reaction on the face of one of our California
inspectors, on seeing that house, made my morning!

I bet the paint was made with lead, too. Funny how we try to keep everyone
safe. Farm life in Oz certainly has different risks than city life in
California...

Thanks for posting.

Patriarch

G'day Patriarch,
Today I'm sure it would give our local health and safety officers heart
attacks
I'd say the paint was lead based. It was a gloss oil paint, green. With
the roof being corrugated iron painted silver.
My Grandfather was in charge of the water supply in Kalgoorlie and used
to visit the farm every Xmas, about 1000 ks travel. He "sourced" the
paint. Strange coincidence, the Silver Frost was the same colour as the
water supply used for it's pipelines and all their buildings were
painted green ???
John