Highland Pairos wrote:
I do not understand why the paint residue would
cause it to behave the way that it does.

Me neither but I haven't seen an ROS disassenbled to see how
they work normally.

Has anyone had the strange
problem? I was thinking about putting a very light coat of silicone spray
on the ring to see if that would prevent the paint from sticking to it.
Does anyone have any better ideas?

Even the tiniest trace of silicon oil residue on wood will cause
fisheyes in subsequent finishing attempts (except with shellac),
or so Bob FLexnor says in _Understanding Wood Finishes_.

So it is probably a bad idea to use silicone lubricants on
woodworking tools.

--

FF