Ned Simmons

In article KmWKe.4294$Wi6.1087
@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net,
says...

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
| In article mtNKe.4373$WD.1860
| @newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net,

| says...
| "Ned Simmons" wrote in message
| SNIP|

| Don's answer looked good, except I'd reduce the stress in
| the steel to 22000 psi, which is what the AISC prescribes
| as design stress for A36 plain vanilla structural steel, so
| around 800# at 21".

Thank you very much for a well thought out response.
I was doing some more thinking about load paths and realized that I made
another error. The tube I brought up is, for the most part, not in the load
path, other than providing a leverage point out at the end. I plan on
reinforcing this part on the top and bottom with straps top and bottom on
the exposed part.
The load path is as follows: At the top of the vertical part of the C,
resting on the slip sleeve for the aforementioned tube, will be a hydraulic
jack. The jack pushes up on another 2" tube reinforced with a 3/16" or so
strap on the bottom and top, and/or with a doubled tube even, and to provide
a surface for the jack top to bear on. Near the other end is a pair of
holes that a vertical link connects to from it the tube first discussed. At
the very end it's pinned to a vertical tube, full of holes to make it
adjustable up and down. So the jack pushes the lever up, levering it
against the link and pushing the other end down to do the business needed.
The leverage factor is from 1:1 up to 7:1 depending on how far you've got
the tubes positioned, and which pair holes the link is using. At the ends
of the lever there will also be side plates, because the forces in this
short area will be pretty high, considering the leverage.
Should I just post my drawing and make it that much easier to explain, I
feel like I'm making everyone try hard to imagine it as I describe it?

A picture would be helpful. I've formed a picture in my
head of your press that may not look much like what you're
imagining.

Ned Simmons