spoon2001

Thanks for your reply, Pipedown.

PipeDown wrote:
Are you replacing the whole roof 41 squares (41 bundles) or 41 square
feet (a small portion of the roof)

Ah, I didn't make that clear. The job is to replace the entire roof on both
the house and the outbuilding. So in other words by 41 sq I meant 41 square
or 4100 sq ft., not 41 sq. ft. Adjuster's quote was 41 sq. @ $101
replacement cost = $4174.

If you are replacing the whole roof, it was not age related waer out
that made you do it but damage by hail. Another hail storm could
trash your more expensive roof later before it reaches the end of its
life. (has this happened before? how often does hail get that bad?).

Given that an act of nature could seriously reduce the life
expactancy of that roof, unless the new material is more durable
against hail, I would go with the cheaper brand. If the insurance
company will verify that they will pay reasonable excess charges
later, go for it, but it is also possible they will make you pay the
difference for an optional upgrade. Have you asked about slate or
concrete (slate look) tile roof, that should take a beating.

I lived here many years, never heard hail like that ever before! But oddly
enough I didn't even think about hail damage to the roof, only to the cars.
And it wasn't until the roofers came swarming around that I even really
noticed the white spots up on the roof from the hail. Fascia painting
really took a beating too.

It seems as if just about everybody around here is replacing with laminate
shingles like the Pinnacles my guy is talking to me about.