Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
So now the question is - what is the most cost efficient way to replace
the boiler?? I think I want to avoid a combi system as this wont be
compatible with my lovely new showers (??). Anyone got any views on
what to buy and where to buy it?????

A combi, well any mains pressure system, will not be compatible with
only one of your showers. Your existing cylinder and tanks are probably
old by now too, so a rethink is on the cards as you have a major expense
and upheaval whether you like it or not. May as well do it all.

Replacing header tanks and a storage cylinder is cheap and easy. Assuming
they need replacing, which isn't certain anyway.

Replacing one shower mixer is no big thing. This removes the noisy and
potentially troublesome shower pumps. Just because they are newish,
doesn't mean you have to keep them.

No - just throw them out and replace with an inferior system.

You are now in a position to reassess the whole system, so look
objectively. I would consider a mains pressure system, that is if your
mains supply can cope. You may be able to uprate the mains supply from
the road to the house reasonably cheaply too, and well worth doing.

May. It's a big if. As all your advice. And likely to be very costly.

Then you have a choice of one box solutions, the cylinders and boilers
all in one case, matched perfectly for efficiency by expert engineers,

Good grief. They're designed to be installed by idiots for maximum profits.
And you call yourself a heating engineer.

instead of some plumber mismatching a cheapo off-the-shelf cylinder:

Well, that's how you may go about it, but others will hopefully do better.

Potterton Powermax, Ideal Istor, Viessmann, Worcester Bosch Greenstar
Highflow, Gledhill Gulfstream 2000; all floor mounted, and a wall
mounted Alpha CD50.

Sounds like you've been through the specs again and are just quoting from
adverts. Anyone with genuine experience is likely to recommend just one.

--
*Income tax service - We‘ve got what it takes to take what you've got.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.