wrote in message
oups.com...
Not knowing what you have available for cutting & joining sticks, some
generalities:

For one, splitting and checking is generally more of a problem with
larger-section-dimension lumber. Really big stuff gets heavy, which
may be a +. Making clean cuts will be a challenge, unless you have one
of the real monster circ-saws, and can guide it.

OTOH, dimension lumber from most mills has rounded corners, making for
surface gaps when gluing. Getting such sticks aligned precisely, and
clamped evenly for gluing must be a real hoot.

Last weekend I used some old 2x4 I had sitting around to build an
outfeed/router table.
I just ripped about 1/4" off one side so it was flat. Not a big problem.
As for aligning, well, the biscuits do just fine at getting it all to line
up.
You could leave the rounded corners and it wouldn't make a difference in
alignment.

Now for my OTOH, the wood I used was geen when purchased and has been
sitting around for a year or two. Several of the boards were too twisted to
use except in short sections.