Stephen M

The problem with tubas and forbas is moisture content. It's just not stable
like kiln dried lumber.

My experience has been that 2-bys that have been laying around my inventory
for shop for 6 months or a year behave pretty well. Fresh stuff just moves
all over the place. So wait if you can and be prepared to set aside a few
potato chips for an application where you only need a short board.

My gut says that 4-bys will take forever to really dry out and stay put.
2-bys will still want to twist somewhat, but the lamination will dictate
that only half the component will be pulling one way or the other.

My suggestion would be realy fussy about choosing your stock and buy 2x10's.
and rip them in two. The bigger boards tend to be clearer.

-Steve

"tim" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am mulling over how to make my first woodworking bench, and after
looking at many sites, and considering cost, I am going to build
with standard lumber. My questions are as follows:

Is there any reason to stick with laminating 2x4's for the
legs versus using 4x4 or even better(?) 4x6 stock. I want
to build a leg vise and I am tempted to use the 4x6 dougfir
they have at the local Builder's Supply. Are there any
ramifications that I should be aware of? I asked them and
got blank stares and they made me feel like an idiot.

And while I'm asking can you use this 4x6 or 4x4 stuff as the
laminated top, or should I stick with glueing up 2x4s?
I have debated using plywood or mdf, but I just don't want
to do that, although I am sure you all have opinions on that
decision.

I would really appreciate any suggestions, since the only
person around here I can ask is my Dad, and he is the KING
of Shortcuts. (Great for many projects, but not this one)