bf

Well, I guess my first piece of advice is that while it's nice to try
and do a good job and make a bench that you'll be proud of, this isn't
the type of project to put that much worry into. You'll put a lot of
dents into this, get paint/stain on it, etc. So don't worry.
If you can find non-pressure treated 4 X4 or 4X6, I don't see why you
couldn't use it. Altough, unless you need a leg that thick for your
vise, I see no reason not to make the legs out of 2 X 4s. They are
plenty strong for your legs.

The downside of using framing lumber is that it will warp. This may or
may not be a big deal to you. My bench has a 2 X 4 frame (basically a
cube, so the legs on are attached together on bottom and top). then I
just used a piece of 3/4 ply for the top and a shelf at the bottom.
It's plenty sturdy. If you need extra thickness for bench dogs or
whatever, you could put a double layer of plywood on the top.

tim wrote:
I am mulling over how to make my first woodworking bench, and after
looking at many sites, and considering cost, I am going to build
with standard lumber. My questions are as follows:

Is there any reason to stick with laminating 2x4's for the
legs versus using 4x4 or even better(?) 4x6 stock. I want
to build a leg vise and I am tempted to use the 4x6 dougfir
they have at the local Builder's Supply. Are there any
ramifications that I should be aware of? I asked them and
got blank stares and they made me feel like an idiot.

And while I'm asking can you use this 4x6 or 4x4 stuff as the
laminated top, or should I stick with glueing up 2x4s?
I have debated using plywood or mdf, but I just don't want
to do that, although I am sure you all have opinions on that
decision.

I would really appreciate any suggestions, since the only
person around here I can ask is my Dad, and he is the KING
of Shortcuts. (Great for many projects, but not this one)