Harold and Susan Vordos

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote in message
.. .

"jim rozen" wrote in message
Doing this (end mill in jacobs chuck) shows the person is lacking
some vital information about how end mills, chucks, spindle bearings,
drawbars, and machinery in general works. As you say, anyone
who goes ahead and does in in *spite* of instructions to not do
so, deserves a free ticket out the door.

And yet, Jim, there have been a rare few times when I couldn't get that
itsy, short little 1/8" bit down into the work, because my spindle nose

was
too big, and a baby 1/4" jacobs chuck saved the day (with extremely light
cuts, "climbing", only).

LLoyd

Really? Climbing? Sounds like a recipe for disaster, although in the course
of conducting business in my many years, I can't think of too many of the
*rules* I haven't violated, generally in favor of getting the job out the
door on time. You place your bet and take your chances. Some days it's
chicken, other days it's feathers.

The bottom line here is that some folks see a drill press and think
mill------cheap mill. Often they think they're clever and have come up
with something no one else has-----likely because they're far more *clever*
than are others. Once a person has made up his mind that his
hare-brained idea is good, it takes a heap of dissuading to swing them a
different direction. I'm fast getting to the point where I think it's
smarter to let them screw up and learn the hard way. Still, it's hard to
stand by and watch otherwise smart people make such stupid mistakes.

The typical drill press, particularly today, where virtually everything is
made in China, and not necessarily of great quality, even for a drill press.
Armed with that idea, said drill press lacks *everything* necessary to be
even a low quality mill. The only thing it has in common with a vertical
mill is a spindle that rotates.

Harold