SQLit

"Mike" wrote in message
oups.com...
We live in the Boston area. We bought our current house a year ago. The
attic is finished with heat. This past winder, all the water pipes to
the attic's bathroom got frozen on a very cold day. We had some
temporary solutions so that the pipes didn't freeze again.

Now I am trying to find a perminant solution. I opened the attic
bedroom's wall and found that the water pipes laying on the floor of
the unheated trangular area behind the wall. Because of the ventilation
required, I guess the area where pipes are can get very cold. Currently
there are some tapes wrapped around the pipes but not completely.

I am thinking of buying more tapes and wrap the pipes more carefully
and tightly. Also, put some extra insulation on top of the pipes. Is
this enough? Last winder the lowest temp was -10F here.

If not, what's a good solution of the problem.

Thanks,

-Mike

Another solution might be to install a hot water recycle pump up there. You
could put it on a t-stat so that it would run on the coldest days. And or
add a push button for getting hot water up to the area faster. These
connect under the sink and it pull hot water and injects into the cold water
pipe. Moving water does not freeze as fast.

I grew up in Iowa and we had a well, if it stayed below -10 for a couple of
days dad would just put the kitchen sink on slow drip so that during the
night the pump would have to turn on and run a couple of times.