Joseph Meehan

Mike wrote:
We live in the Boston area. We bought our current house a year ago.
The attic is finished with heat. This past winder, all the water
pipes to the attic's bathroom got frozen on a very cold day. We had
some temporary solutions so that the pipes didn't freeze again.

Now I am trying to find a perminant solution. I opened the attic
bedroom's wall and found that the water pipes laying on the floor of
the unheated trangular area behind the wall. Because of the
ventilation required, I guess the area where pipes are can get very
cold. Currently there are some tapes wrapped around the pipes but not
completely.

I am thinking of buying more tapes and wrap the pipes more carefully
and tightly. Also, put some extra insulation on top of the pipes. Is
this enough? Last winder the lowest temp was -10F here.

If not, what's a good solution of the problem.

Thanks,

-Mike

You need more than insulation. All insulation can do is to slow
cooling.

When you run water in the pipes they warm up. Assuming they are in an
area that is below freezing, they will then start cooling towards freezing.
If you run water often enough, they don't freeze. Adding insulation slows
the freezing, but it will not stop it.

You need to add heat to those pipes. That means heating the areas they
are in or using an electrical heat tape made for that use to keep them warm.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit