TURTLE

"stevie" wrote in message news
I caught a brief part of a newscast that said central air conditioning units
would soon double in price due to new governmental regulations about
efficiency.

Apparently, present day units would not be manufactured after December 2005.

Is this true?

My present unit (Trane) was installed in 1989 and is still working OK.
Should I think about replacing it before price increase? I believe SEER is
12 on my unit??

This is Turtle.

You say you have a 12 seer unit already. well the new units that are the price
is suppose to go to the moon is the 13 seer if you had bought one now a days. So
price out a 13 seer in your system you have now and your looking at the new
price that are suppose to go to the moon. So in so many words your going to have
to buy a 13 seer and not a 12 seer like you got.

No , Don't replace anything if it is working good. If you have trouble get a new
one but not for this seer rating raise to 13 seer. It should be a None Event.

Now if you want a 10 seer unit after January 2006 which burn 30% more
electricity than a 13 seer. You may concider getting one before Jan. 2006.

TURTLE