Ulysses

wrote in message
On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 14:44:35 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Ulysses wrote:

My lawnmower (20 year old B&S 3.5 HP) won't run if it gets tilted to

the
right as seen from the pushing-the-mower position. It acts like it's

not
getting gas. If I tilt it back to the left it starts going again just

fine.
When tilted to the right the low point of the gas tank would be even

lower
so I'm sure it's getting gas to the fuel line when it stops. I checked

the
carb floats and they seem to be functioning properly. The fuel line is

new.
The fuel flows freely through the line. The air cleaner looks good. I
sprayed the carb with carb cleaner. I removed the jet and cleaned it

too.
I even made sure the gas tank was full. Oil level is just a tad high.

Any ideas? I have to mow hilly areas and it's not always easy to get

my
approach with the mower tilted just the right way ;-)

You've checked all the things that I would have, so...

A few questions to maybe help you narrow it down:

1. How long after it gets tilted to the right does the engine start
sounding funny?

2. If you "catch it" before the engine stops completely and level the
mower, how long before the engine sounds right again?

3. Can you eyeball the throttle arm on the carb and see if maybe it's
moving towards its closed position when the mower is tilted? (It should
move toward the *open* postion when the engine slows.)

4. I know you said it's a 20 year old mower, so it's probably like most
of my old power equipment, a "widow maker" without a bunch of safety
features to keep the legal sharks away. But maybe (long shot) there's
some kind of electrical engine killing safety which is acting up when
the mower is tilted?

5. How long since you looked at/cleaned the air filter? (Another long
shot.) But, try tilting it with the air cleaner off, you might see/learn
something that way.

HTH,

Jeff

Check for a frayed wire that may be shorting out. Particularly the
magneto wire. Also be sure the spark plug wire is not cracked. You
could also have a loose or broken shut off contact switch.

Thanks, that is sounding like the likely villian now.

My first thought was the carb float, but you said you checked that.
Also be sure there is not water in the gas, since the water will stay
on the lowest point. A little "Heet" should fix any residual water
after you drain the tank.

I recently had the gas tank off and completely empty but I'll check it
again. Seems unlikely but it's sure worth a look.

One last thing. Is there a loose bolt or other metal object in by the
points that is shorting them? (points are under the flywheel).

No points (electronic igniton--yea, they had it way back then) but I'll
check for loose bolts (again).