steve

Default Lead-Loc and Gas pipes

Dave Plowman wrote in message ...
In article ,
steve wrote:
Unless you have experience of making reliable wiped lead/copper
joints then leave it to a good corgi fitter might be an idea to go for
an older one as prob had more exp. of working with lead

You say it must be left to a CORGI fitter, but then stipulate probably
most won't be able to work lead? Fooking typical...

Well was also taking into consideration the fact that the op said he
capped the other with a comp stop end. Capping a pipe with a solder
endcap one of the simpler soldering jobs compared to flatening the end
of the lead and soldering it up or joining in a piece of copper and
then capping it.

But yes the skills base for a lot of trades isnt what it used to be
how many plumbers noadays would be able to do all the jobs plumbers
used to do lead roofs flashings etc etc thats why i suggested
looking for one with that experience

Talking of lead joints i noticed my local builder/plumbers merchants
still has stopcocks for use with lead no compression fitting just a
taper god knows how old they are I gather the boss keeps them to
remind him of the olden days

Steve