Bob Vaughan

In article .com,
wrote:
They have plates with 12 spaces that you could use. You will end
up with 6 spaces on each side.

I think the 12 port is what I need to git'er done. I'm going to
carefully remove the single gang box and install a double gang old work
box.

Thanks!

I would seriously consider using a telecom ring, instead of a box.
The main reason being that the bend radius of the coax (especially RG-6)
makes it difficult to install the plates without putting lots of pressure
on the coax. With the modular plates, this can lead to the coax module
popping out of the plate. Using a telecom ring means that you have access
to the entire space within the wall.

Using regular plates helps solve the problem, but now we are back to using
2 plates, which is still an option.

Telecom rings are available in new and old work types, in plastic, or metal,
depending on your preference. There are even versions that have the provision
to anchor the end of a conduit.

If you do use a box, use the deepest one available. Your choice of old work
boxes will be more limited. With regular boxes, you could always install
an oversized 4-11/16 sq box, with 2 gang mudring.

I forgot to ask what type of cable you installed.
Hopefully you made a sane choice, and didn't fall for the Monster snake-oil
hype :-), and installed cat5/cat5e, and quad-shielded RG-6.

Avoid twist-on F connectors at all costs. The Snap-n-seal, or similar types
work best, followed by hex-crimp, and cheap-crimp types. (cheap-crimp is
referring to the cheap short barrel connectors found at radio shack, etc..)

Have fun..

Bob Vaughan | techie @ tantivy.net |
| P.O. Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309 |
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --