Pop

"TURTLE" wrote in message

"Squanklin" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a window AC unit in an upstairs bedroom that
is not putting out
as much cold air as it once did.

Normally the unit runs all day and night, set at a
specific temperature
(77 degrees, currently); and the compressor kicks in
as needed to
maintain that temp. Because the air flow seems a
bit lighter and not
as cool, I wonder if something might be wrong with
the unit, or if
perhaps it has 'frozen' and needs to thaw. It's
about three stories
up, so I can't get a good look at it from the
outside, but I see no
evidence of ice or dripping.

In case this is the problem, I have turned it off
for the day.

Anyone else have any tips?

Thanks!

This is Turtle.

edwin and other have stated evaperator coil dirty and
filter but when someone says they have a window unit
that just seem like it just don't do as good of a job
like it use to. a lot of the time it will be a
plugged up condenser coil on the back and plugged up
on the inside of the coil where you can't see it.

so here is a small check list to try to see about it.

Dirty condenser in back.
Dirty evaperaor coil in front.
dirty filter.
100% RH day and high Moisture content in your house.
unit low on freon.
Outdoor temps going over 100ºF+ which will slow some
brands of units down.
Compressor Going in-efficent or not pumping good
enough.

Most all window units still under warranty for low on
freon and in-efficent compressors for 5 years.

TURTLE

One more thing: IF there are oil cups on the fan
motors, is it oiled each season at least, more often if
used more than about 4 months/year? Drying bearings
will slow the fans and make them work harder.

He's right about the 5 year compressor warranties;
worth checking if all else fails.

Pop