Donna

"tjbay" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have an open staircase leading to my basement and I have small
children and would like to protect them from falling over the stairs,
problem is the opening allows me to move furniture up and down the
stairs so the railing or whatever i put there most be removable...The
diagram below is a "rough" idea of what the opening looks like from the
basement...

-------------------------

---

---

---

---

---

-------------------------

As you can see the first few step only the height of the step is open.
Any suggestions would be great....

One Step Ahead sells a retractable mesh-like safety gate, that you might be
able to mount on the top of the stairs, stretch to the bottom, and retract
when you want to move furniture up the stairs. Otherwise, if you want a
bannister that will keep the kids from falling down, but also want it to be
able to be removed, AND you want to keep the stairs open... I don't see how
you can acheive all that at the same time. If the retractable thingie
doesn't work, just install gates at the top and bottom of the stairs and
keep them off it for a couple of years. That's what we've done in your
situation.

Donna