TURTLE

"Pop" wrote in message

"TURTLE" wrote in message

"SteveB" wrote in message
news:j1aKe.84965$4o.53276@fed1read06...
We just bought a cabin. It has a 100 amp service breaker, and a service
panel with 5 20 amp breakers.

I know on appliances, all I have to do to find out the amperage is RTFM, but
for lights and such, how do I calculate just how much wattage I can put on
any breaker circuit?

The lighting is inadequate. I will need more. I have a licensed
electrician friend who will come and wire everything, so it will be done
right and safe. I just need to get an idea how many lights we are talking
about so I can do some shopping. I don't want to max everything out and put
up a ton of lights. I just want to balance them, and not put so many that I
am approaching critical mass.

TIA

Steve

this is Turtle.

In normal lighting circuits it is hard to over load normal lighting wattages
to just light up a cabin. Just take 1 -- 20 amp breaker and circuit for
lights only and that gives you 20 -- 100 watt light bulbs to light up the
cabin. One Circuit is what I thinik you need for all lighting to the cabin.

Now really 19.6 -- 100 watt light bulbs to be exact.

TURTLE

Not the best idea: Pop the breaker an dthe whole place goes dark. They should
be mixed on at least two breakers, and instead of 20 bulbs, that would be 16
bulbs. Over 80% usage will allow normal variations in the grid, cabin, over
time, breakers, etc. to begin to heat the breaker, thus degrading it over time
and leaving no safety overhead. So with a min two lines you've got 32 bulbs
now, lots more than you'll need. Not sure where the 80% figure comes from,
nec, ul, mfg, whatever, but it's reality.

HTH,
Pop

This is Turtle.

He was asking what number of breakers would be need for lighting for the cabin.
I said 19.6 for a 20 amp breaker will support the 19.6 light bulbs and will be
the 80% of the amperate of the 20 amp breaker. He can split up the bulb in all
area , but all lighting would not need more than 1 --- 20 amp circuit, no matter
how he run it.

With two circiuts of 20 amps he could put not 32 -- 100 watt light bulbs but
39.2 --- 100 light bulbs. This would still be compliant of the 80% rule of the
two 20 amp breaker circuits.

Now the degrading of the breaker to trip at lower amperages is just a effect you
have to deal with 20 to 30 years from now and just wait 20 years or so and think
about them.

TURTLE