Chris Lewis

According to tom :
Ebeneezer wrote: I have several holes in my metal eavestrough. I have
tried some so called
leak stoppers to no avail.
I was wondering if I took a propane torch and burned all the crud off
and
then polished with a wire brush and then some acid flux and solder if
it may
work Any ideas? I am assuming the eavestroughs are galvanized so I am
not
sure if it would stick or not. Failing that - any ideas on a repair
technique?

You need to etch off the zinc with some acid first. Then your solder
will stick. Tom

T'other way around. Zinc solders quite nicely. Steel does not (or
at least not with plumbing solder). The issue is whether you can clean
the zinc coating well enough to solder to without scratching off so much
zinc you can't get a full seal.

In the end, it probably won't work at all that well.

If I had some holes in galvanized eavestroughing I had to patch, I'd
be more inclined to use epoxy or bondo over some sort of mesh.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est