Bob Vaughan

In article ,
Roger Taylor wrote:
(snipped extensive rambling which amounts to: how to repair fan wire?)
Not safe, is the answer.
Butt connectors I use for telephone wires but not high current appliances.
Further, crimpable connectors are best used with solid wire not multistrand
such as on fans.

This depends on the connector. For the butt splices that the OP was asking
about, they actually work best on stranded wire, and are perfectly safe if
properly installed.

The 3M telephone jellybeans are a different design, and do work best on
solid wire, although I have used them with tinned stranded wire with
good success.

The only safe way to fix, is to take base off fan, remove all of line cord
at terminal block, and replace cord with comparable or heavier guage
stranded appliance wire, with moulded (already attached plug).

In this case, the OP stated that the cord was damaged just outside the fan,
so the only thing that he would need to do is to shorten the existing cord,
and re-terminate. If there is a terminal block, then no problem, if it's
just pigtails spliced inside the fan, then he would need s butt-splice or
similar.

Bob Vaughan | techie @ tantivy.net |
| P.O. Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309 |
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --