Prometheus wrote:
On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 00:03:24 -0400, "Upscale"
wrote:

"Prometheus" wrote in message

Yep, did a lot of work that way when I was starting out. A Japanese
pull saw (Dozuki) with a nice thin kerf makes it easy, if not quite as
fast as a power saw.

A query about all these suggestions of hand saws. The OP was talking abo=

ut
doing flooring with a quiet saw. Can hand saws, even Dozuki hand saws cu=

t a
floor board so straight at 90=B0 and so finely finished that it's going =

mate perfectly with an adjacent board? I've got to be honest here, I'm
really sceptical.

Sure it can. A saw is only as good as the guy using it, true- but a
good handsaw can cut just as straight as any power tool, and better
than some. Couple of things make it easier to get a good cut, in
fact- first, it's a lot easier to follow a line, because the saw cuts
at your pace, not at the pace of the motor, and you can adjust your
stance *before* the entire piece is cut. Second, a dozuki has a ton
of tiny little teeth that leave an edge like a good diablo blade.

Third, DAGS on "shooting board". This is a jig (or is it a fixture?)
that holds the board while guiding a plane is to shave off the
end grain cleaning up the saw cut. Typically a single pass is
all that is needed.

Hmm, since the shooting board holds the workpiece AND guides the
tool at the same time I guess a shooting board is both a jig
and a fixture.

--=20

FF