Brian Sharrock

"Michael Dritschel" wrote in message
-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me...
We are in the process of building a new kitchen. For the tap we
would like to use the same one we had in our last kitchen in the US.
The fitting for these are indicated on the technical drawings as '1/2"
NPSM coupling nut for 3/8" or 1/2" flexible riser'. Would I need any
special adapter couple the standard UK plastic pipe to this? If so,
where might I find such an adapter?

I realise that mixer taps are made a bit differently here, mostly to
prevent syphoning from the hot water tank into the cold water system
in the case of low pressure. Since we have a combi boiler, this isn't
a concern, so assume the american taps can be used safely.

Thanks for any help.

Michael Dritschel

m,a,dritschel&ncl,ac,uk

Apparently; The 'N' is for National versus the 'B' which is for
British ... so the USAians have at least a different nomenclature
if not any different size for their water connections;

American National Standard Pipe Threads

NPT: National Pipe Taper Thread
A sealant compound or Teflon tape must be used for a
leak-free seal.
FPT: female (internal) National Pipe Taper threads
MPT: male (external) National Pipe Taper threads
NPTF: Dryseal American National Standard Taper Pipe Thread
No sealant is needed for a seal.
NPS: American Standard Straight Pipe Thread
Used for mechanical joining -- holding a fitting in place.
An O-ring or a metal seal is required.
NPSF: Dryseal American National Standard Straight Pipe Thread

British Standard Pipe Thread
BSPT: British Standard Pipe Taper threads
BSPP: British Standard Pipe Parallel (straight) threads

Assuming that NSPM is National Pipe Standard _Male_
then one might need a BSP(parallel) ... ?

Aren't there water bye-laws insisting that only 'approved' appliances
are connected to the water-main?

--

Brian