Roger Taylor

"Mark Modrall" wrote in message
Hi...

Is it a good idea to paint cement sealer all over a humid basement?
Or does that just trap the water in the cement and hasten it's
deterioration?

Our basement is very damp, with the humidity seeming to seep through
the cement. Our house was built in 1978, and they don't appear to have
done exterior sealing on the outside all the way around the outside of
the foundation.

We'd like to pull up the skanky carpet, seal it, and tile over it,
but I was wondering if the cement sealer on the inside might have
negative consequences.

Waterproofing paint can slow influx of water, but is a very temporary
solution, as no coating can resist hydraulic pressure of the water.
First you should address the moisture problem, then consider your
decorating/sealing/tiling activity. Generally, moisture probs can only be
dealt with with correcting the drainage situation around the house, by
redirecting rainwater runoff, downspout drainage, french drains, and
re-waterproofing the exterior of the foundation, after excavating.