John B

Leon wrote:
"Tana" wrote in message
u...

A friend gave me this recipe for home-made oil finish for rustic furniture.

2 parts Linseed Oil
1 part Mineral Turpentine
1 part vinegar

Snip

I have heard that the production finish for rustic furniture is used motor
oil and or diesel fuel.

G'day all,
The farm house in which I lived as a kid, was constructed from clad with
Jarrah (Rough Sawn) boards up to about 5 feet high with the top portion
being asbestos sheeting.................
Every year we used to get an old mop and give the boards a good coating
of sump oil.(Which the old man would save from the oil changes in the
cars, tractors and other machinery).
I'd reckon that them boards would still be as good as new, although very
black.
Would get a nasty stain on your trousers, I assume, if it was used for
furniture.
Regards
John