Baron

Do NOT use this mixture for anything!

As someone else already pointed out, it is not a finish but is sometimes
still used by unfortunates as a cleaner / reviver. It will leave the
infamous "Hershey Finish" on your furniture as it slowly reacts with light
to leave a chocolate brown goo which is very difficult to remove.
Winterthur had a real problem sometime ago since the mixture used to be
thought of as an excellent cleaner / reviver for antiques. One of the chief
restorers at the Smithsonian had to come up and spend weeks teaching people
how to safely remove it.

The vinegar provides an acidic environment for the linseed oil to create
the polymers when exposed to light.

If you want an oil finish, I suggest a commercially available mixture of
oil, varnish, and thinner like Watco or Minwax Antique Oil Finish. The
small amount of varnish will provide at least a little protection for the
wood.

Good Luck.

"Tana" wrote in message
u...
A friend gave me this recipe for home-made oil finish for rustic

furniture.

2 parts Linseed Oil
1 part Mineral Turpentine
1 part vinegar

My question is which vinegar ?
The dark brown or white.
Does it matter?
Can I try both to see which looks best?

I will be using on white pine and gum tree.

Thanks,
Tana