Tom Gardner

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
Gil,

Tom was pulling your leg about "wax" also. See Harold's post re. gauges
and the sizes thereof. Wax, or any superficial cleaner, etc. which can
leave a residue is definitely not recommended for gauges. Anything used
to clean a gauge must not leave a build-up on the active surfaces. For
instance, many years ago, I used WF-40 to clean the anvils of a
micromenter. Later, I noticed the "zero" of the mic had shifted 1 or 2
ten-thousands of an inch. The WD-40 had left residue on the anvils. Clean
any residue off the measuring surfaces with acetone. Never use any sort
of abrasive.

Bob Swinney

Welllllll......OK, but I figure that anything needed to a tenth or so will
never recover from a trip to corrosion city anyway. How about waxing a pipe
wrench? I don't need too many significant digits very often so I forget
they are there. For God's sake, Gill's talking sandpaper, just to keep
perspective.