Conan The Librarian

mac davis wrote:

Personally, my skill level doesn't include making my own finishes... there are
so many proven commercial ones out there that I'd rather spend my time
developing other skills.. YMMV

FWIW, you can easily take commercial finishes and adjust them to
suit your own needs. Probably the simplest and my favorite is to take
spar varnish and thin it with equal parts turpentine and BLO. It makes
a great wiping varnish that is easier to use (and easier to control the
level of buildup) than the stuff straight out of the can.

You can also play around with substituting tung oil for BLO, and by
adjusting the levels of solvent vs. varnish vs. oil, you can achieve
different results.

With any finish, experiment on scrap first or you *will* be
experimenting on the real thing (tmPaullyRad).

Chuck Vance (BTDT, got the t-shirt)