steve

Default Lead-Loc and Gas pipes

"John Stumbles" wrote in message ...
"tom w" wrote in message
Hi

I'm in the process of removing a gas fire in our dining room in order to
reinstate the open fire that was there previously. I've removed one

already
in the lounge, which was easy enough as the gas supply was copper pipe

under
the floorboards and a compression stop-end did the job easily. In the

dining
room, the job is complicated by the fact that the gas supply is through

lead
pipe. I want to cut this off, but access is tricky, and certainly wouldn't
allow me to do the 'bash it flat, fold over the end and bash it flat

again'
approach. I've gathered from past posts that a lead-loc adaptor is what I
need, but I'm having trouble finding one to fit. The lead pipe is marked

as
1/2" 2lb, and I've not seen any lead-loc fittings for pipes below 1/2"

6lb.
Does anyone know if I can I use one of these, or do I need to find another
solution to the problem? My idea was to use the lead-loc followed by a

stop
end, which would be neat(ish) and would allow the supply to be used in the
future if ever needed (I would remove all the lead piping if it wasn't for
the access problems).

I'm pretty sure Lead-loc fittings are not approved for use with gas (meaning
that by law you are not allowed to use them). Your bash-it-flat technique
would also get you thrown out of a gas assessment with a flea in your ear,
not to mention a RIDDOR on it to the HSE!

Unless you can make a (good) soldered joint to the lead you should either
get someone in who can do it or renew the other pipe runs so your lead
branch becomes disused.

Unless you have experience of making reliable wiped lead/copper
joints then leave it to a good corgi fitter might be an idea to go for
an older one as prob had more exp. of working with lead

Might it just be simpler to have new copper run from meter to gas
cooker and boiler?

then you wont have the worry and maybe get a bit of the money back on
the scrap lead?

Steve