brugnospamsia wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I would like to derive an audio alert from a PIR floodlight. To be more
specific: let's say I have the floodlight above a back window and
driven from a three-pin plug from inside. I would be happy to bring
additional cabling from the PIR.

Or maybe forget that floodlight (I have another outside fed from the
garage) and use an external low voltage PIR to feed an audio alert
and/or switch on a light (even low voltage). I doesn't have to be DIY;
off the shelf solutions welcome!

I modified my front door PIR (pre-part P !) to switch a hall light and so I
can easily have the flood on continuously :-

http://uk.geocities.com/gentlegreengiant/PIR.GIF

Quite what you would use to make the noise I don't know - presumably a
transformer and bell / buzzer of some sort ...
Actually I have considered doing something similar - maybe something
intermittent though in case a neighbourhood cat starts firing the thing off
all night ...

Thanks, that looks useful; however, I'm going to have to overcome an
irrational (?) lack of confidence in my ability to mix 240V with low
voltage equipment (don't comment, I know it is silly and irrational and
amateur and non-DIY).

As regards buzzers, I have a (5V?) buzzer and a home made siren from
days when I built electronics as a hobby.

Okay, agreed, cats a problem.

A really annoying thing is that I had a 'listening light' socket in the
hall until a few weeks ago; suddenly, it started to act strangely, as
did two others the same (Unicom??? bought in Aldi -- I posted here to
see if anyone could guess why it (actually all three) ) failed in the
same way. That would have detected the noise and would have switched on
a light, presumably deterrring them.

I assume it would be possible to adjust the 'light level' trimmer on
the floodlight so that it comes on all day? (Daytime, it seems to me,
being as good as any to commit a burglary.)

Thanks,

Jon C.