Ian Stirling

I would like to derive an audio alert from a PIR floodlight. To be more
specific: let's say I have the floodlight above a back window and
driven from a three-pin plug from inside. I would be happy to bring
additional cabling from the PIR.

The safest and simplest way to do this is to find a 240V relay that will fit
inside your PIR device. (assuming you are competant to fit this safely,
properly insulated, and secured)

As most floodlights have a choccy block connector in, simply connect the
relay coil across the floodlight terminals.
Now, you have a switch that goes on when the floodlight does.
Connect this to a source of power, and the bell/buzzer of your choice.