John Grossbohlin

"Upscale" wrote in message
"Prometheus" wrote in message
fact- first, it's a lot easier to follow a line, because the saw cuts
at your pace, not at the pace of the motor, and you can adjust your
stance *before* the entire piece is cut. Second, a dozuki has a ton
of tiny little teeth that leave an edge like a good diablo blade.

You've got to remember that people have been doing woodworking for
thousands of years, and they didn't all have DeWalt and Delta. Some
of that stuff they built was even sort of ok.

I'll take your word for it, but I'll hat to see it to believe it. Yup,
they've been building wooden floors for hundreds of years, but repeatable
90° cuts with a handsaw, (I don't care what type) without further edge
treatment? Sorry, but it's just one of those things I'll have to see done
accept. Shearing an edge afterwards, plaining it and a few other ways I
can
think of, without them, I can't envision it. Maybe my woodworking
experience
has been too sheltered.

At the Northeastern Woodworker's Association's Showcase this year I did
demonstrations on using shooting boards. I kept cutting pieces off the end
of the same board and then trued them up with the plane. What was kind of
amusing was that after a while I had to intentionally make bad saw cuts. I
started getting perfect miter cuts with the hand saw while supporting the
work with the shooting board. Mind you I was using an L-N crosscut backsaw
but still, it was a handsaw. I've been using my crosscut panel saw quite a
bit lately and making square and plumb cuts isn't that difficult. It's a
matter of paying attention and developing skill...

John