F. George McDuffee

do a google search on one-way clutch [I get 175k hits] you
only need one to keep the slow speed motor from being driven.
Most likely your local bearing supply has one in stock.

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 21:06:55 GMT, "SteveF" wrote:

Now that it's been pointed out I would be spinning one motor REALLY fast.
Thought about the VFD but would need to run it around 2-4 Hz to get things
slow enough. Found a parts diagram for the Delta metal/wood saw and they
just use two step pulleys with huge changes in diameters so I might see if
those could be retrofit to my saw.

Thanks all.
Steve.

"SteveF" wrote in message
r.com...
From time to time it would be handy to have a small metal cutting bandsaw.
I was noticing that my wood bandsaw has the drive pulley exposed
underneath which conveniently is two speed so has an unused space for
another belt. It would be possible to rig up another motor with gearing
to get the blade speed into the proper range. So the question is - can I
just rig up two motors and apply power to the one for the speed needed or
is free spinning the other motor bad for it somehow? And I do realize
that hot metal chips in sawdust can be a bad thing and recognize the need
to clean it out thoroughly before switching over.

Thanks.
Steve.