James Salisbury

"Huge" wrote in message
A couple of months ago, the immersion heater overheated and melted both the
insulation
and its plastic cap...

So I assumed the thermostat was faulty, bought and fitted a new one and
fabricated a
new cap from plastic drainpipe.

The new thermostat has an overtemperature trip, which keeps tripping. So,
whatever's
wrong is still wrong. I carefully remade all the joints when I replaced
the thermostat
(I assumed that's what the problem was), so I imagine it can't be that.

Could the element be furred up? We have very hard water and our water
softener packed
up years ago....

The element could well be furred up, and if it is at the bottom of the
cylinder there could be a few buckets of scale wating to be shifted!! Try
here http://www.ewh.co.uk/