Doctor Drivel

wrote in message
oups.com...
Our house has a Baxi Barcelona which heats an underfloor heating system
and a mains pressure hot water system. When installed about 4 years ago
(when we had the house built), it seemed reasonably state-of-the-art.

Sadly, it has been less than reliable. The main current complaint is
that about once a month or so, at random intervals, we wake up to a
shut down boiler, a flashing (or steady) red light, and no hot water.
This drives the wife bonkers as she can not then wash her hair before
going to work (why does she need to wash her hair EVERY day? - don't go
there...). The boiler will usually restart by turning off then on (but
sometimes an electrican is required to shuffle the circuit boards. We
never seem to find an actual FAULT).

My questions:
1. Do we have a lemon or are they "all like that"?
2. Should we replace the boiler with something more reliable and of
newer design? or
3. Should we consider replacing the two circuit boards, in hope of
curing this mysterious problem?

Any thoughts/suggestions/recommendations would be gratefully received.
I'm under orders to "fix" this before the next winter.

Steve

Is this only heating a thermal store? If so, there is a jumper that can be
removed and the burner is then on full with no modulation. The reliability
of these boilers on "direct" thermal stores is good as the controls are not
used as much as when heating direct as modulation is not operational and the
boiler does not cycle.
Its successor is the Baxi condensing boiler, which is not cheap at all.