Duncan Lees

Default What's wrong with my wall?

Good idea about the insulation, I'd not considered that. Might as well
do it since the wall will need replastering anyway. Any idea why the
plaster in the rest of the house isn't doing the same though?

-Duncan

Michael McNeil wrote:
As a 70 or 80 year old house I'd say it's still giving good service.
The walls will be solid though and not heat retentive.

What has happened is that the lime has finally turned inert and is
chalking away from the wall. The reason there is no damp is that the
brickwork is still sound and the walls are breathing.

Knock off the chalk, one or two walls at a time and put 2" x 2"
battens up at 600mm centres or whatever suits the wall/board/you.
Place fibreglass insulation between battens and cover with
plasterboard. Tape and paint or plaster to suit.

The only problem is the wiring and going around window and door
frames. Get around that with strips of moulding or extra architraving.
(Watch out for doors opening onto the studding too.)

If I had loads of plumbing etc in situ on the walls I'd not bother. On
the other hand it's the ideal opportunity to bury central heating
pipes and of course rewiring the leckie.