Ian White

Excellent... thanks for you help. I think I'll go with the aris rails
directly into the walls. Sounds like it will be easier and won't break
off the corner of the wall... although how far should I be away from
the corner to stop any crumbing issues?

That would depend on one's wall, Sir...

Using a 150mm wide wall plate, I've had no trouble drilling for M10
rawlbolts about 80-100mm back from the corner. And that's in soft brick,
with render which reduces the thickness of brick and makes it impossible
to choose the strongest places to drill.

The main thing is to avoid overtightening the bolts. They only need to
be firm enough to prevent the wall plate and post from slipping -
anything more is pre-stressing the brick and actually making the wall
weaker.

--
Ian White