hylourgos

Funny, I experimented with this just two weeks ago. I had some Gorilla,
some Nail Power (mfg. Henkel), and some PL Premium. They're all
polyurethane glues for wood, the first two marketed for cabinetry
stuff, the last as a construction adhesive. The first is about 2x the
price of the second, and the second is about 10x the price of the
third.

Couldn't help but wonder if there was a possibility that the PL could
used as effectively as the first two in similar applications, so I did
a test.

The first two have about twice the viscosity, which makes sense since
PL is a construction adhesive, not a cabinet glue. The runnier
viscosity is desirable for how I wanted to use it, however, so the
first thing I did was read to see what I could thin it with. Nothing on
the tube, but it did mention mineral spirits as a cleanup agent, so I
thinned it with that, and it seemed to work. You don't need much, and
you have to spend a minute to get it mixed.

I cut some scraps of pine then glued up and marked a couple of blocks
for each glue.

After they dried (and all had the similar foaming cure), I put each one
in a heavy vice and pounded at the seam.

They all held up admirably, all splits were in the wood not the glue
line.

Hardly scientific, but enough to satisfy my curiosity. If I have a
project that's not valuable, I wouldn't hesitate to use thinned PL
premium. I think I'd pick it over yellow glue most of the time.

2=A2