Charlie Self

Upscale wrote:
"Prometheus" wrote in message

Yep, did a lot of work that way when I was starting out. A Japanese
pull saw (Dozuki) with a nice thin kerf makes it easy, if not quite as
fast as a power saw.

A query about all these suggestions of hand saws. The OP was talking about
doing flooring with a quiet saw. Can hand saws, even Dozuki hand saws cut=

floor board so straight at 90=B0 and so finely finished that it's going to
mate perfectly with an adjacent board? I've got to be honest here, I'm
really sceptical.

I doubt it. I've got an old Stanley miter saw with, IIRC, a 6" tall x
30" long backsaw. That'll do it, if he can find one in decent shape for
less than a home mortgage payment. It won't do compounds, but it puts
all the fragile multi-use modern stuff to shame. And it will cut
flooring to about 9" wide, I believe. Sharpening is not as quick as
some handsaws (laminate, of course), but is easily done.