Gunner

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 21:29:11 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

A baseball bat in the hands of an attacker IS a lethal weapon and as such
every jurisdiction that I am aware of (including Canada) allows for lethal
force to counter the attack.

Ken.

Nice try, Ken, but wrongo.

In a court, some smart ass lawyer is gonna ask why you just didn't run away
instead of shooting this poor mother's son, who was a promising student at
welding school and who had a promising career as a baseball player. And you
know, he's right. This poor kid may have been on the way to baseball
practice and you misread the situation. Or, yes, he might have been ready
to do batting practice with your round melon. In court, they will crucify
you unless he has hit you.

You MUST exhaust every avenue before you can shoot someone. You must run.
You must announce you have a gun. You must order them to back off. You
must say if they come closer that you will shoot. If you start shooting,
and they haven't touched you, you might as well as pile all your stuff and
money in the street and set it on fire with five gallons of gasoline.
Because either way, it's gone. Some ambulance chaser is going to spin it
towards this poor youth, even though he has a record of 39 arrests. (you
can't bring that up in court) And then, he can run off, and call the cops,
and you have to prove that you were NOT brandishing a weapon which is a
felony, and which you can lose your CCF permit for, if you have one. If you
don't have a permit and a registered weapon, you will go to jail for assault
with a deadly weapon.

It's stupid, but hey, I don't make the rules.

Read up on it. The days of the old west are gone when one could defend
himself with deadly force. Welcome to the new century of liberalism.

It is not a simple thing any more.

Are you licensed to carry a gun? Have you ever had training in this area?

Steve..I suspect you have either bad data, or its something unique to
your state. Most states do not require you to retreat, no require you
to be physically harmed.

And yes..I am licensed to carry...24 or so years and a ex cop.

Gunner, who lives in a county that has a virtual Shall Issue policy
and the largest number of CCW holders per capita in the entire state,
and the smallest number of cops per capita.

If you are going to use that phrase then you should use
the full phrase of "**** Off and Die and Rot In A Ditch
and Get Eaten By Maggots and ****ed On and **** On By
a Dysenteric Elephant (but not necessarily in that order)."

Crash Street Kidd