Pufter Pufter is offline
Member

Location: Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalico
I know this is slightly off-topic since not technically a DIY job, but
could I ask what thoughts people have on Cavity Wall Insulation.

I recall years ago that it sometimes had a bad name since it stopped
the airflow in the cavity and so could cause damp problems. At least
I think that is what was said negatively about it.

I have a 1900-ish mid-terraced house with the outer leaf stone and the
inner wall brick. It's nice and cool in summer but can get damn
freezing in winter.

My local supplier Powergen is offering CWI for £75 installed. Seems a
good price to me.

Any comments please?
Rob

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply
I had this done on my 3 bed semi 4/5 years ago. Made a huge difference keeping the house warm, & cooler than it used to be inside when the sun has been on the house all day. In fact, I notice "cold" walls more now - eg. the house has an integral garage & this is solid brick between the hall/living room & garage (ie, no cavity or insulation). This goes to show how much heat can be lost through uninsulated walls.