SteveB

"Tom Quackenbush" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:
Tom Quackenbush wrote

If someone attacked you with a baseball bat and all you had with
which to defend yourself was a pistol, you're not allowed to shoot the
guy?

The training I received in three CCF classes is that you pretty much have
let them beat the **** out of you, and then the last thing you do before
you
pass out is start shooting. You either have to be dying, or fear that you
will die, and there has to be a substantial threat that you WILL die.

That still won't clear you from all legal entanglements and civil
lawsuits,
but at least you will have some measure of defense.

Sad but true.

I gather that you're speaking tongue-in cheek?

Is there a law in California that requires that you respond with an
equal level of force?

I'd learned that you were allowed to use deadly force in self
defense if you were in fear for your life.

Civil suits - who knows?

R,
Tom Q.

You are right. But in California, the average person cannot get a permit to
carry a weapon.

And if you are speaking of defending yourself with that board that happens
to be handy, you better damn well have some hefty lumps to prove that you
were assaulted. You then have to prove that you attempted to flee and
disengage from the confrontation. Then you have to counter the other
person's claim that it was mutual combat. In that case neither can be
prosecuted and it is one person's word against another. This is usually
done by sore losers. Or they file against you, another tactic of sore
losers. Unless there are witnesses who don't evaporate and who are willing
to put down their phone numbers on easily obtainable police reports for the
bad guy to visit, you are hanging there, slowly twisting in the wind.

It's all just intellectual masturbation here. What I would do. What is
legal.

Read the laws. Ask police officers. Investigate the procedures.

It's not as cut and dried as you put it out there to be.

You can be totally in the right, and still go to jail.

Wasn't there an eleven year old girl recently that experienced exactly the
same thing?

Steve