Greg O

"Ignoramus6689" wrote in message
.. .
For $12.00, I bought a 5 HP, SINGLE PHASE Baldor compressor motor that
has a problem. When I spin it up by hand, it turns, but a little
roughly and then spins by itself, but not for very long. It stops too
soon. It is not, by any means, seized, but there is too much friction
compared to what it should be. I did not run it under power yet

It is ball bearing based, which I concluded after seeing grease
fittings on it.

My hope is that it should be an easy fix. Either the grease caked, or
perhaps the bearings need replacement. Any thoughts on how to proceed?

thanks

It could be just bad bearings, but I often see where the bearing has spin in
the end housing of the motor and wore it over size. So if you get to the
point of tearing it apart, be sure to check the fit of the bearings in the
motor end housings. If the housing is ruined you can buy replacements at a
good motor shop. They will have to order them.
As far as replacing the bearings you will need a puller to get them of. To
install the new bearings best thing is to press them onto the shaft, but if
you are careful you can drive them onto the shaft with a hammer and punch,
or a piece of pipe. Be sure to drive on the inner race only!! If you put any
force on the outer race you will ruin the bearing!
Greg