Grant Erwin

I have gone from 440 3hp 3 phase on an old Quincy to 220 5hp single phase,
running the air pump faster to get more air. It was plenty expensive for me
because the mag switch on it wasn't beefy enough so I had to upgrade it. That
cost maybe $300. But if I had to sell it now (fat chance) it would be MUCH
easier to sell. Face it -- most guys are woodworkers or auto freaks, neither of
whom are very into making 3 phase power.

GWE

Ignoramus6689 wrote:

I am a sucker for lightly fixing old stuff.

I have a 2 HP 3 phase Speedaire compressor that I bought for resale
purposes.

I also have the following:

1) all stuff for making an RPC with a 7.5 HP idler (cost about $33)

OR

2) A single phase 2 HP motor that I bought today for $10.

So, I can repower my compressor in two ways:

A) Keep it 3 phase and build an RPC for it, sans enclosure. Sell it as
"2 HP Speedaire compressor with 7.5HP phase converter". Sell 2 HP
single phase motor separately.

B) Repower it with a 2 HP single phase motor and sell as "2HP single
phase speedaire compressor". Throw away the 2 HP 3 phase motor.

Both A and B will likely take me about an hour, unless I have to make
adapter plates.

The question is, which route will bring me more $$$.