IMM

Default Speed cameras (Was: New Electrical Regulations)

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
. 1...
On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 13:00:12 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

There should be a "camera ahead" sign a few hundred yards before
it...

er, all cameras (even temporay ones) do have signs a few hundred yards
before them. They have to.

that shows the speed limit,

At that point or at the camera? Could be rather confusing, showing 30
on a bit of road where the limit is 60... Anyway all drivers should be
able to deduce the speed limit from the type of road and the
precensense or not of street lighting. Roads that do not follow the
general rules have small speed limit signs every 400yds or so.

and importantly, includes the reason the camera is there. So for
example you get things like "30, Concealed Junction", or "20, School
Crossing".

Thats is not to bad an idea, but without the speed limit as that is
already clearly signed and can be deduced anyway. However it does
produces some funnies though, round here we would have "Straight Road"
and "Bends"

Also you would be carrying out a subconscious process of education -
alerting drivers to the sorts of situations and road conditions that
should require close attention to speed.

I doubt that such "education" would work in practice. It's much to
nanny state for my likeing, why can't people take any responsibilty
for themselves and others anymore?

An audible receiver should be in the car warning of the "blackspot", which
has a camera to enforce the limit, ahead.

---