Someone

I would think of a diode used that way as a fire hazard...

"N Cook" wrote in message
I'm aware that in the days of overwind transformers for EHT in
'scopes very low current and high voltage rectifier diodes were used
rather
than cheaper higher current ones as they would fail open circuit
to protect the fine windings on the mains transformer.
Is anyone familiar with using diodes for more general
applications. Particularly what generic type or named series of diode
always fails open rather than closed circuit and rough idea
of rupture current with respect to normal use maximum
as of course never in the data sheets ?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England